On behalf of the Board of Education, this communication is regarding Board Policy 903 – Public Participation in Board Meetings. Policy 903 provides the authority and guidelines for the public’s involvement in Board meetings.
- The Board requires that public participants be residents or taxpayers of this district or anyone having registered a legitimate interest in a contemplated action of the Board.
- Participants must be recognized by the Board President or designated presiding officer and must preface their comments by an announcement of their name, address, and group affiliation if applicable.
- No participant may speak more than once on the same topic.
- All statements shall be directed to the Board President or designated presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members or administrators individually.
- The Board President or designated presiding officer is not obligated to respond to public comment.
Public Comment - Each Board meeting offers two opportunities for Public Comment.
- Thirty (30) minutes is designated before Board action for individuals with comments restricted to the meeting’s action agenda items.
- Individual speakers are limited to three (3) minutes.
- If more than ten (10) people wish to speak at the 30-minute public comment period, time limits may be further reduced.
- When a new item that has had no previous discussion appears on the agenda, the public may comment before any Board action is taken. Individual speakers are limited to three (3) minutes.
- Anyone wishing to address the Board regarding an issue not related to an action item must notify the Superintendent's office by noon of the day of the Board meeting.
- The individual must identify to the Superintendent’s office their name and topic they wish to address.