Cafeteria Purchase Charging and Insufficient Funds Regulations


    The Bangor Area School District Cafeteria is serviced with a student account system. This system is a pre-paid program that allows students to deposit their meal money into their meal accounts to be used to purchase meals, snacks, and beverages. Please read the following policy on making deposits, charging to your students’ accounts, and payments returned due to insufficient funds.


    • Students are asked to pre-deposit money into their accounts to make purchases in the cafeteria. Cash can be accepted at any service station during meal periods, but any change will be applied to the student’s meal account to be used for future purchases.
    • Deposits can be made with personal checks, money orders, and cash, which should be placed in a cafeteria-supplied envelope or similar envelope with the child’s name and grade listed on the front. Personal checks and money orders are suggested made payable to: Bangor Area School District Cafeteria.
    • You may also make deposits and check balances on-line by going to and setting up an account. For more information, please check out the school district website.
    • Students in grades K-6 who bring their deposits to school will give their envelopes to their teacher in charge. All other grades will drop their deposits in a designated area of the cafeteria or handed to the cashier in line.  It is recommended that students use the designated area, since the lunch line is busy and the area provides staff the time to efficiently handle deposits.
    • Personal checks are cashed and processed by the bank on the same day of business. Post-dated checks will not be accepted. Please be sure to have sufficient funds.
    • Returned checks due to insufficient funds will be assessed a $12.00 bank fee charged to your student’s account. If checks are returned due to insufficient funds, a letter from the school district office will be sent to your home requesting re-payment of check value plus the bank fee.
    • Students in grades 9-12 will be notified by the cashier if their balance is getting low. Letters will be sent home to parents/guardians of students whose accounts are below the “negative” threshold.  Parents/Guardians may also sign up for email alerts through the SchoolCafe System.
    • Should a student forget their deposit and does not have enough money in their account, the child may still get a meal of their choice. However, this meal will be charged to the account. To make a meal, students must select foods from at least three (3) different food groups. At least one item must be a 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 cup vegetable, or a 4oz fruit juice. Students will be told at the register if they do not have the proper items to constitute a meal, what they need to put on their tray to make a complete meal.
    • If a student’s account is at a negative balance, non-meal food items, such as snacks or alternate beverages, will not be allowed and will be removed from their purchase choices.
    • The negative balance will be satisfied first from any deposits made and the leftover money will be made available on account.
    • Full Meal Price will be $1.30 for a breakfast meal and $2.55 for a lunch meal for grades K-6 and $1.40 for a breakfast meal and $2.65 for a lunch meal for grades 7-12. Snacks and alternate beverages are priced separately.
    • Free meal students will need money in their accounts if they wish to buy snacks and alternate beverages only.
    • Reduced price meal students will need the reduced price of $0.30 for breakfast per day and $0.40 for lunch per day, as well as money for snacks and alternate beverages if desired.
    • To see if you qualify for free or reduced-price meals apply online at or contact the food service office to get a paper application mailed home to you.  It is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to ensure that the application is submitted within the allocated grace period each school year.  Please see the school website for more information regarding the grace period.  Any negative balances accrued are the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility if an application is not received within this allocated time.
    • The school district reserves the right to take legal action against parents/guardians, responsible adults, and/or emancipated students to recover monies for debts resulting from excessive charges to student accounts.
    • If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the cafeteria office at 610-599-7021

    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

    1. mail:
      U.S. Department of Agriculture
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
    2. fax:
      (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
    3. email:


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.