Pennsylvania Immunization Requirements
The following regulations have been established by the Pennsylvania Department of Health to promote the health of our students.
All students entering school for the first time must be fully immunized as a condition of school attendance. The following immunizations are required:
- Diphtheria and Tetanus – Four or more properly spaced doses of DTP, DTaP, Td or DT, or any combination of the three with 1 dose administered on or after the fourth birthday.
- Polio – Four or more properly spaced doses of polio vaccine with 1 dose administered on or after the fourth birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given*. (Inactivated Polio Vaccine or Oral Polio Vaccine.)
- Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, and Rubella (German Measles) – Two properly spaced doses with the first dose administered at 12 months of age or older, or immunity proved by serological evidence determined by the hemagglutination inhibition (HI) test or any comparable test**.
- Hepatitis B – Three properly spaced doses of hepatitis B vaccine. (Currently the medical recommendation is that the second dose of hepatitis B vaccine be separated by at least one month after the first dose and the third dose is separated by at least 4 months after the first dose and at least 2 months after the second dose. The 3rd dose must be given after 24 weeks of age.)
- Varicella – Two doses of live attenuated varicella vaccine administered at 12 months of age or older, or chickenpox immunity proved by laboratory testing, or a written statement of history of chickenpox disease from a parent, guardian or physician.
Students entering 7th grade need the following:
- One dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap). If 5 years has elapsed since last tetanus immunization.
- One dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV).
Students entering 12th grade need the following:
- Second dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) at age 16 or older.
A physical examination is required upon original entry into school and again in 6th and 11th grades.
A dental examination is required upon original entry into school and again in 3rd and 7th grades.